Presto - A Powerful SQL Engine for Hadoop and More!
Presto is an open source distributed SQL query engine designed for running interactive analytic queries against data sources of all sizes. Through a single query, Presto allows you to access data where it lives, including in Hadoop, Apache Cassandra™, relational databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL or even proprietary data stores. Presto was created by Facebook for the analytics needs of data-driven organizations.
Presto is a perfect fit with the Teradata Unified Data Architecture™, an integrated analytical ecosystem for our enterprise customers. Presto enables companies to leverage standard ANSI SQL to execute interactive queries against Hadoop data. With Presto, utilizing Teradata’s Query Grid connector for Presto, customers can execute queries that originate in Teradata Integrated Data Warehouse that join data within the IDW and Hadoop leveraging Presto.
Quick overview of Presto and Demo of Presto with Tableau
Despite being a powerful SQL engine, Presto initial adoption had largely been limited to well-staffed, highly innovative organizations with extensive big data engineering expertise. All the new enterprise capabilities Teradata brings to Presto are and will be open source contributions for the benefit of the big data community.
Video: – Facebook and Teradata present on Presto at Hadoop Summit 2016).
What Does Teradata Bring To The Table?
Teradata has a dedicated team of over 20 developers contributing open source code to Presto and making a multi-year commitment to increase adoption in the enterprise. Through this commitment Teradata is adding critical features in the areas of software installation, improved monitoring & management, YARN integration, security, support for ODBC/JDBC drivers, ecosystem integration and BI tools certifications. In addition to these software contributions, Teradata is also improving Presto’s documentation and creating easy-to-follow QuickStart guides.
Teradata announces numerous BI vendors certification on top of the Teradata Distribution of Presto!
"A special shout out goes to Teradata — which joined the Presto community this year with a focus on enhancing enterprise features and providing support — for having seven of our top 10 external contributors."
First Ever Enterprise Support and Professional Services for Presto
Similar to the early days of Hadoop, world-class customer support and professional services behind Presto will drive greater enterprise adoption. Teradata is pioneering commercial support for Presto by becoming the first commercial vendor to support Presto.
Specialized Presto professional services from Think Big, a Teradata Company, offers:
- Piloting new functionality with Presto Jumpstart
- Customized Presto training
- Design and development services for Presto
Learn More about Presto Support and Services
Teradata’s Certified Release of Presto 148t
With Presto 148t, you get all the benefits of Presto with the peace of mind that Teradata stands behind it, ready to support you.
With Teradata-certified Presto 148t, you will receive:
A stable release tested and verified by over 300 additional Teradata-developed end-to-end system tests
Pre-built RPM allowing for easy installation
Presto is available as either a self-contained sandbox VM or packaged for easy installation, all of our certified releases include:
- Presto Quick Start Guide
- Presto Documentation
- Presto Admin: Tool to install and manage Presto
- Presto CLI: Presto SQL prompt for executing queries via command line
- Presto Software: This is the core Presto database software
- Presto Enterprise Class ODBC Driver: Allows you to access Presto from ODBC based clients and business intelligence tools that communicate via ODBC
Download one of our self-contained virtual sandboxes or deploy Presto on your Hadoop
cluster, and you’ll be up and running in no time
Presto for Cloudera CDH
(Presto 148t in a Sandbox VM with
(Presto 148t for Cloudera Enterprise 5.x)
Presto for Hortonworks HDP
(Presto 148t in a Sandbox VM with HDP)
(Presto 148t for HDP 2.x)
Presto for IBM Open Platform with Apache Hadoop and BigInsights
(Presto 148t for IBM BigInsights 4.1)
Enterprise ODBC & JDBC Drivers for Presto
Are you interested in world class enterprise support or services for Presto? Contact us now at email@example.com
Join our Teradata Presto Google Group if you have questions surrounding the Teradata certified version of open source Presto as well as questions pertaining to downloading, installing and getting started with our version.
Presto Documentation – this documentation explains the setup, functionality and usage of the Teradata release of the open source Presto query engine.
Additional Presto Documentation, Information and News
Overview & Informational Videos
- Teradata and Treasuredata Presto Webinar - The Magic of Presto Petabyte Scale SQL Queries in Seconds
This technical webinar presented by Teradata and Treasuredata explains the Presto query engine, its underlying technical architecture as well as its value and performance vs. other solutions. The webinar also touches on the Presto technical roadmap as well as offerings, contributions and solutions.
- Facebook video at Presto meet up – this video gives insight into Facebook’s implementation, use of Presto against multiple data repositories as well as an explanation of why they use Presto vs other technologies.
- Presto Overview Video – this quick 5 minute video will provide an overview of the open source Presto SQL on Hadoop query engine. The video highlights its functionality and architecture of Presto as well as the Teradata contribution to the Presto roadmap.
- Presto Demo Video – this demo highlights multiple examples of the usage of Presto, leveraging Presto for queries both command line as well as using the Airpal GUI tool.
- Presto Overview Article – this Teradata magazine article gives a great technical overview of the Presto platform, its architecture and its functionality as a ANSI SQL query engine.
- Power of Presto White Paper – this white paper addresses the real need for a portable SQL on Hadoop tool.
- Querygrid and Presto Datasheet – this datasheet explains how Teradata QueryGrid connector for Presto enables users to execute a query within Teradata that will reach out to Presto, execute a query against one of the data platforms Presto supports, such as Hadoop, and then combine that result set with data within the Teradata database platform.
- Horton and Teradata Webinar – this Best Fit Engineering SQL on Hadoop webinar covers Hive and Presto – technology, usage and roadmap. Learn why choosing more than one SQL-on-Hadoop tool to satisfy all requirements is a “best fit engineering” approach designed to match the benefits of each tool set to map to actual workload requirements, while remaining true to 100% open source innovation.
Blog & Media Coverage