eBay Pioneers Analytics as a Service on Teradata Foundation - 10/13/2008
- New approach marshals enterprise ability and agility
- Innovative online reseller runs world's largest commercial enterprise data warehouse environment at 5 petabytes, joining Teradata's petabyte club
- Champion behind eBay's 'Analytics as a Service' capability will share tips for success at Teradata PARTNERS User Group Conference
LAS VEGAS — eBay, the world's largest trading community, is pioneering enterprise analytics as a service, working with Teradata Corporation (NYSE:TDC), the world's largest company solely focused on data warehousing and enterprise analytics.
To support the effort, eBay has the distinction of running the world's largest commercial enterprise data warehouse (EDW) environment at 5 petabytes, powered by Teradata.
On Tuesday, October 14, beginning at 11 AM PDT at the Teradata PARTNERS User Group Conference in Las Vegas, Oliver Ratzesberger, senior director, architecture and operations for eBay Inc., will detail how eBay conceived, designed and implemented the new capability.
eBay has combined the agility and ease of use of data marts with the advantages of a centralized data warehouse by selecting a platform with massively parallel processing capability. This approach has given eBay an advanced self-service model that allows groups to leverage virtual systems for their individual or department needs, at a cost that undercuts any data mart or cascaded systems implementation.
Over 50 business units at eBay run test environments on the EDW at any given time, with each test having a lifespan of 90 days. Using analytics as a service for rapid prototyping enables the eBay teams to quickly experiment with ideas and learn fast, thus improving time to market. "Because the main data is already in the enterprise data warehouse, we can offer prototyping environments at no cost to business units," said Ratzesberger. "This helps eBay keep our competitive edge."
- eBay began using Teradata solutions in 2002 with a single 14-terabyte system.
- Today eBay processes 50 petabytes of information each day while adding 40 terabytes of data each day as millions buy and sell items across 50,000 categories.
- A petabyte holds 1,024 times as much data as a terabyte. If every PC had a 50-gigabyte hard drive, storing a petabyte would take 20,000 PCs.
- Over 5,000 business users and analysts turn over a terabyte of data every eight seconds. Raising parallel efficiency, the effectiveness of distributing large amounts of workload over pools and grids of servers equals millions in operating expense savings.
Oliver Ratzesberger Senior Director, Architecture and Operations eBay Inc.
"Analytics are in our DNA from the bottom up and from the top down. The metrics you know are cheap while the metrics you don't know are expensive but also high in potential ROI."
Darryl McDonald Chief Marketing Officer Teradata Corporation
"Teradata is very pleased to be partnering with eBay, one of the leading companies that are leveraging and innovating with our Active Enterprise Intelligence. Use of enterprise information for analytics, accessible and actionable in real time, is clearly recognized as one of the most critical competitive advantages for any business. As data volumes grow and business cycles shorten, especially in e-business, the demand increases for immediate access to information from across the enterprise, and with that, the demand for ever larger systems. While other companies talk about petabyte-sized systems — or claim so-called records with test systems in a lab — Teradata is actually doing it in the real business world with companies like eBay and the others in Teradata's Petabyte Power Players Club."
Read more about Analytics as a Service at XtremeLargeMPP blog managed by Oliver Ratzesberger.
"The Velocity of eBay," DM Review
Definition of petabyte
About eBay Inc.Founded in 1995, eBay Inc. connects hundreds of millions of people around the world every day, empowering them to explore new opportunities and innovate together. eBay Inc. does this by providing the Internet platforms of choice for global commerce, payments and communications. Since its inception, eBay Inc. has expanded to include some of the strongest brands in the world, including eBay, PayPal, Skype, Shopping.com and others. eBay Inc. is headquartered in San Jose, California.
About TeradataTeradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's largest company focused on raising intelligence through data warehousing and enterprise analytics. Teradata is in more than 60 countries and on the web at Teradata.com.Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Share this post: