October 17, 2012 | SAN DIEGO, California.
Teradata Big Analytics Appliance Enables New Business Insights on All Enterprise Data
Deeply integrated Aster and Apache Hadoop solution delivers fastest SQL and MapReduce analytics with unified system management
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data solutions company, today introduced the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance, which is the industry’s first unified big analytics appliance. The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance brings together open source Apache Hadoop and Teradata Aster into a single highly- integrated and optimized appliance. With the Teradata Aster patented SQL-MapReduce and Aster SQL-H, the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance provides users with transparent access to Hadoop and provides unique business analytics to a broad set of knowledge workers. The appliance offers pre-packaged ready-to-run analytical functions such as digital marketing optimization, social network analysis, fraud detection, and analysis of machine-generated data in just hours.
Today, organizations are concerned about the integration, optimization, performance and skills required to deploy big data solutions. The enterprise-ready Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance breaks down the barriers that traditionally slow down adoption of big data analytics. Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance brings the most sophisticated packaging in the market. With flexible configuration options, companies can configure Aster Database and open source Hadoop all in a single integration cabinet.
The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance is designed for demanding analytics, which require more computational power, memory, and data movement. This appliance offers up to 19 times better data throughput and performs analytics up to 35 times faster than a typical off-the-shelf commodity bundle. The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance has ample memory and high bandwidth interconnects to support extreme analytic execution, and it is packaged to require less space in the data center than off-the-shelf offerings.
With the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance, customers can adopt MapReduce and Hadoop technologies without extensive training. The appliance offers customers a discovery platform that delivers a ready-to-run solution optimized for rapid, on-the-fly data exploration, and innovative big analytics insights.
“The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance offers the faster path from diverse big data acquisition to big insights, and seamlessly delivers these insights to the business owners,” said Scott Gnau, president, Teradata Labs. “Unmatched by any other stack in the industry, it enables organizations to overcome the barriers to big data analytics and provides a high-definition view of the business to optimize operations.”
Industries such as retail, ecommerce, consumer packaged goods, communications and financial services needing deeper insights into consumer behavior can use the new Teradata appliance capabilities to harness multi-structured data from social media, Web clickstream, Twitter streams, call center activities, and other types of customer interaction data. When these industries tap digital channels, they have a more accurate picture of their consumers’ interests, needs and motivations to buy, and sentiment toward their brand. However, game-changing insights are achieved by using the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance to combine the analysis of the digital channels with more structured customer data from point-of-sale systems. Retailers can benefit from a comprehensive discovery platform with ultra-fast investigative analytics.
“Big Analytics offers the opportunity for break-through approaches to discovery-based analytics in old data as well as in new,” said Merv Adrian, research vice president, Gartner. “When we add big analytics to big data and begin to use information that’s in other formats other than relational database rows - like Web logs, content management systems and clouds of instruments on the Internet, we wind up with data types that are compressed into formats that first need to be teased apart for analysis. Gartner clients tell us that combining scored, processed ‘outside data’ with data inside our relational databases is where all the added value is.”
"As Apache Hadoop moves from early adopters to the main stream, organizations require enterprise-class, unified system management and the ability to tightly integrate with their existing analytical tools to ensure success,” said Rob Bearden, chief executive officer, Hortonworks. "The combination of Teradata's world-class data management and analytics capabilities, with the unmatched reliability of Hortonworks Data Platform, provides a truly unified, high-performance big data analytics architecture for the enterprise."
Teradata provides customers the ability to leverage new data types, emerging analytic technologies, and best-of-breed partner tools. Follow this link to view partners’ comments
about the new Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance.
Built for Easy Start-up
The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance is delivered as a fully integrated hardware and software system. It is ready to plug-in and can be up and running within a few hours. It can be configured to meet the demanding analytic workload needs of the organization, with a tailored mix of the Aster Database and Hadoop nodes.
The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance features a complete Aster Database, including the patented Aster SQL-MapReduce framework, Hortonworks Data Platform, Aster MapReduce Analytics Portfolio with more than 50 analytical functions. It runs on proven Teradata hardware, leverages the most current Intel® processor chip technology, SUSE® Linux operating system, and market-leading enterprise-class storage. It can be configured to store a maximum of 5 petabytes of uncompressed user data for Aster and up to 10 petabytes of uncompressed user data for Hadoop.
“Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance will help customers overcome the perception that the big data analytics technology is hard to deploy and achieve business value,” said Tasso Argyros, co-president, Teradata Aster. “Teradata’s powerful platform simplifies big data analytics and is able to help data scientists develop insights that no other analytic platform can deliver.”
Teradata and Hortonworks have worked together to design a solution for Hadoop that is easy to use and easy to consume. The Teradata Big Analytic Appliance is engineered for the enterprise and is optimized for performance and reliability. The engineering teams have worked together to integrate Hortonworks Data Platform with Teradata products for high-performance query and metadata exchange. Additionally, enterprises can use the same trusted Teradata Viewpoint and Teradata Vital Infrastructure monitoring system to proactively monitor and manage operations within their Hadoop cluster Customers can also benefit from a Teradata integrated support offer that includes the Horton Development Platform.
The Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance provides a broad spectrum of high-performance capabilities in a well-orchestrated environment:
- Aster SQL-H™ software offers business analysts a seamless bridge between standard business intelligence applications and on-the-fly access to big data sets stored in Apache Hadoop, leveraging the Hadoop’s new metadata catalog called Apache HCatalog. Aster SQL-H enable organizations to discover the invisible nuggets with standard SQL, BI and data visualization tools from data in Hadoop while leveraging the performance and analytical innovation of the pre-packaged Aster MapReduce Analytics Portfolio
- Teradata Aster Big Analytics and Discovery Platform embeds MapReduce processing for deeper insights on new data sources and multi-structured data types to deliver analytic capabilities with breakthrough performance and scalability. The platform utilizes Aster's patented SQL-MapReduce® to parallelize the processing of data and applications and deliver rich analytic insights through the simplicity of structured query language (SQL) and business intelligence tools.
- Viewpoint Portlets - a single, web-based suite of management and monitoring applications, offers Aster Database and Apache Hadoop administrators users access to vital system management information.
- The Aster Management Console (AMC) - used to configure, manage, and monitor data, applications, and infrastructure. An intuitive graphical interface enables easy monitoring with dashboards, views of query and process execution, and easy drill-down. For customers using Viewpoint, the AMC is only needed for Aster-only environments.
- Teradata Server Management - advanced server management features proactively monitor the system with diagnostic tools to quickly detect and address any issues to maximize availability. System warnings are sent to Teradata’s global customer support team, so issues can be addressed quickly, minimizing down time, and ensuring enterprise-class performance.
- Massively parallel processing - embedded SQL and MapReduce engines provide parallel process of data analytics.
- Customer Support - industry certified regional and global Teradata Customer Care Centers with experienced service representatives 24x7. Customer care provides high quality, trusted support, and service for Hadoop deployments.
"Recently I interviewed several companies dependent on big data analytics as a core business competency. The companies are using both Teradata Aster and Apache Hadoop platforms in various combinations. Teradata Aster provides the ease of use, advanced packaged analytics, and enterprise IT ecosystem, while Hadoop provides low-cost, efficient data loading and transformation driven by an active open-source community,” said Dr. Richard Hackathorn, president and founder, Bolder Technology Inc. “With the release of the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance, the best of both are integrated together into an enterprise-class appliance. The total cost of ownership and especially time-to-value are much lower than the two platforms separately. Moreover, the fast 40 gigabit per sec InfiniBand switch and integrated system management are decisive differentiators."
Learn more about Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance at http://asterdata.com/big-analytics-appliance/.
- Website Data Sheet: http://www.asterdata.com/product/big-analytics-appliance.php
- Webcast: http://www.asterdata.com/BigAnalyticsSeries/big-analytics-launch.html
About TeradataTeradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes. With a portfolio of business analytics solutions, architecture consulting, and industry-leading big data and analytics technology, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Visit teradata.com.
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide.