October 17, 2012 | SAN DIEGO, Calif.
Discover Value in Big Data with Free Aster Express
Teradata Aster provides organizations with an easy and fast way to understanding value in big data analytics with free trial software download
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data solutions company, today announced that Aster Express 5.0, a no-cost trial version of the patented Aster SQL-MapReduce® framework, is immediately available for download and evaluation. Included in the download is the Aster Database, which includes the powerful big data analytical engine that embeds both SQL and SQL-MapReduce, and more than 50 analytical functions for applications such as digital marketing optimization, social network analysis, fraud detection, and analysis of machine-generated data. Aster Express offers an easy, hands-on introduction to big data analytics, offering business analysts, developers, and data scientists the ability to uncover the hidden business value in multi-structured data.
Once used by a small and elite group of developers in worldwide technology hubs, big data analytics are evolving as a major competitive advantage for mainstream businesses and governmental agencies. Organizations are looking for ways to extend the benefits of big data analytics to more users and applications, while overcoming the complexity and cost related to hiring and training highly skilled developers.
“Businesses are recognizing the value in innovative approaches to discovery analytics and Teradata wants to empower the growing community around Teradata Aster,” said Tasso Argyros, co-president, Teradata Aster. “Aster Express provides a simplified way for analytical professionals to gain new insights from diverse data by fully leveraging their existing skills and popular analysis tools. They can take advantage of MapReduce processing, SQL-based access to data in Apache™ Hadoop through SQL-H™, and our pre-packaged analytic functions for solving specific problems in marketing attribution, path analysis, fraud detection, and pattern analysis.”
"With Aster Express, we were able to easily load our data and quickly execute analytical functions,” said Mark Kromer, technology director of business intelligence, Razorfish. “Aster Express provided us with first-hand experience of the depth and power of the new Aster 5.0 features in a simple-to-use, free evaluation environment. We can explore new analytics for discovering deeper insights in digital marketing and other areas of our business.”
Aster Express provides:
- A full-functioning trial version of the Aster Database.
- A powerful big data analytical engine that embeds both SQL and SQL-MapReduce® processing for deeper insights from all types multi-structured data.
- A portfolio of more than 50 analytical functions for applications as varied as digital marketing optimization, social network analysis, fraud detection, and analysis of machine-generated data. For example, the patented Aster nPath function can answer many customers’ questions including one of the most valuable from a business perspective - “What path did the customer take through the website that motivated them to make an on-line purchase?” The function is able to find patterns or relationships among data resulting in powerful insights.
- Aster SQL-H empowers business analysts and data scientists to directly access data in Hadoop for advanced analytics from ANSI SQL, SQL-MapReduce, and popular business intelligence and reporting tools.
- A set of tutorials to accelerate installation and deployment. Once downloaded, Aster Express is operational within minutes. Tutorials enable SQL analysts to quickly start using the patented SQL-MapReduce framework and functions without previous knowledge of the software.
Aster Express is a new and important component of the Teradata Aster software portfolio, which includes Aster Database, SQL-MapReduce®, Aster MapReduce Analytics Portfolio, and Aster SQL-H.
System Requirements -Aster Express is a software-only offering designed for evaluation and not licensed for production usage. The minimum hardware requirements are four gigabyte (GB) of memory and 20 GB of free disk space. The software requirements include Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. Aster Express requires a 64-bit capable processer. A 32-bit operating system such as Windows XP can run as the host platform for a virtual machine, but the CPU needs to support a 64-bit Linux environment.
Download Aster Express at asterdata.com/AsterExpress
Aster Development Environment, the Aster Express development companion
For development professionals that want to go beyond the 50+ functions included within Aster Express, Teradata Aster provides the Aster Development Environment (ADE). ADE is the first visual integrated development environment that simplifies and accelerates the creation of SQL-MapReduce analytic applications, throughout the development lifecycle — from development and testing through deployment. With ADE, developers can build their first SQL-MapReduce application in minutes and test it on Aster Express.
Download Aster Development Environment at asterdata.com/ADE
For additional information about Aster Express and Aster Development Environment follow this link: www.asterdata.com/downloads
About TeradataTeradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes. Our focus on business solutions for analytics, coupled with our industry leading technology and architecture expertise, can unleash the potential of great companies. Visit teradata.com.
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide.