The Teradata Cloud: Proven Technology and Industry Expertise Delivering Best of Breed Data Warehouse and Analytics as a Service - 10/21/2013
DALLAS, Texas - PARTNERS User Group Conference — Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data platforms, applications and services company, introduced today the Teradata Cloud, which delivers sophisticated analytics as a service with–rapid provisioning and scalability in a subscription model. Teradata is also making available its powerful, market-leading technologies including Teradata Database and Teradata Aster Discovery Platform as a service for data warehousing and discovery analytics. These combined offers allow customers to benefit from Teradata’s Unified Data Architecture to enable business insight from all types of data – with the additional option of cloud-based delivery.
“With the Teradata Cloud, Teradata offers the broadest range of analytic solutions in the marketplace; we provide the solution you want, when you want it, and where you want it,” said Scott Gnau, President of Teradata Labs. “Teradata Cloud increases your infrastructure choices, is TCO-neutral to the on-premise solution, and because it’s backed by Teradata there’s no need to accept restrictions on application design, feature functionality, or performance.”
The Teradata Cloud includes Data Warehouse as a Service which is available today in the United States. With Data Warehouse as a Service, customers can access Teradata Database, ETL and BI ecosystems—managed by Teradata—in a secure and reliable production class environment in the cloud. In this cloud model, Teradata assumes all responsibility for hardware/software and also daily end-to-end operations via Teradata Managed Services. In addition, these capabilities are available on a monthly subscription.
“The market for cloud analytics will grow in the next 3-5 years,” said Shawn Rogers, vice president, Enterprise Management Associates, a consulting firm specializing in analytics and cloud technology. “With this new cloud offer, Teradata delivers a flexible, scalable option for a complete set of cloud-based analytics, industry expertise and consulting services.”
In the first half of 2014, Teradata will enhance the Teradata Cloud by adding Discovery as a Service and Data Management as a Service, meaning that Teradata’s entire Unified Data Architecture can be implemented as an on-premise private cloud or inside the Teradata Cloud. Teradata Cloud includes rapid provisioning, flexible pricing options and scalability as needed. To complete the cloud package, Teradata offers industry starter kits, for rapid data modeling, data loading and BI reporting to help drive immediate business value.
- Data Warehouse as a Service is powered by Teradata Database, the world’s most advanced database engine. Teradata Database is well-suited for cloud computing with virtualized resources, consistent performance and linear scalability. Teradata Database’s ease of use, combined with true query and workload parallelism, allows it to achieve performance and throughput levels not found in any other RDBMS. The world’s leading companies in all industries have chosen Teradata Database for data warehousing.
- Discovery as a Service takes advantage of Teradata Aster Discovery Platform with its patented SQL-MapReduce® to enable rapid exploration and discovery from diverse data via business intelligence, data integration, and analytic tools. Any SQL-savvy analyst or business user will find it easy to use, yet it is powerful enough for the most sophisticated data scientists. Teradata Aster Discovery Platform has more than 80 pre-built SQL-MapReduce functions, accessible via SQL, for data acquisition, data preparation, analysis and visualization. Users can perform analytics such as digital marketing optimization, fraud detection, social network analysis, machine data analysis, and text and graph analysis.
- Data Management as a Service capitalizes on open source Hadoop for the processing of large data sets in a distributed computing environment. Hadoop was created to capture, store and refine data – and serves organizations best as a contributory processing platform in centralized data warehouse environments.
“Teradata Cloud is an additional way to deliver world-class analytics,” said Ed White, General Manager, Teradata Cloud Solutions. “This is a secure and highly available cloud solution that offers customers powerful and advanced analytics for all data types – structured and multi-structured – in optional packages for economic flexibility.”
For Teradata Cloud, there are four elements to each “as a service” offer:
- Cloud Foundation: for cloud infrastructure functions such as hardware and software monitoring and maintenance, security administration, backup and recovery, and resource provisioning.
- Enhanced Services: for implementation of advanced database features and additional security protection for sensitive data (HIPAA, SOX, and other personally identifiable information) and extended backup, archive and restore options.
- Consulting Services: for advising on analytic best practices, migrating from existing databases, database administration, data quality, implementing new applications, providing analytic access to BI applications, and building custom data warehouse applications.
- Industry Starter Kits: for retail, communications, media and entertainment, government and more that include high-level logical and physical data models, load scripts and industry report templates for a fast on-ramp to the cloud.
Figure 1. Teradata Cloud “As a Service” Components
ViSalus - Best-in-Class Analytics in the Cloud
Teradata Cloud customer ViSalus markets and sells weight loss, functional food and nutritional supplement products in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom through a network of independent promoters. In preparation for further expansion, ViSalus has deployed a cloud strategy from Teradata. ViSalus’s Chief Technology Officer, Aldo Moreno, stated: ”The Teradata Cloud is a good fit for our business and technology requirements – with accelerated analytic insight on a subscription basis; a platform that scales quickly and smoothly and gives us what we need, when we need it. As our business grows, there is no question that a cloud-computing model has economic benefits, while also providing the power of Teradata’s best-in-breed analytic environment on a utility basis.”
Teradata Cloud – Latest Option in a Broad Solution Portfolio
Teradata Cloud is an additional deployment option that is part of a broader solutions portfolio including the Teradata ADW Private Cloud with elastic performance on demand and analytical sandboxes, Teradata Virtual Machine Edition and Teradata Express for VMware Player. Teradata Express is also available for Data-Driven Marketing delivered in the Cloud from Teradata Applications, through which the company’s entire Integrated Marketing Management (IMM) suite is now available.
Teradata customers and cloud experts will be leading sessions at the PARTNERS event this week. Here are highlights.
Relevant News Links
- 1348 - Teradata in the Clouds Update for Partners 2013! - Monday, Oct 21, 3 - 4 PM
Ramp Up to Cloud Computing with Teradata! Cloud computing is all about getting instant access to IT resources to deliver faster analytics to end-users and customers. - Cliff Lindroth, Teradata; and Paul Barsch, Teradata
- 1444 - Analyze This–Introducing Teradata Cloud – Wednesday, Oct 23, 9:30 - 10:30 AM
Teradata Unified Data Architecture is the most complete and powerful analytical infrastructure in the market. Teradata Database, Teradata Aster, and Hadoop are now available in the cloud. - Ed White, Teradata; and Paul Barsch, Teradata
- 1528 - A Practical Guide to Real Cloud Based Analytics - Wednesday, Oct 23, 11 - 12:00 PM
Companies big and small need top-tier data warehousing power. A flexible solution is also required to help gain value quickly. That’s why companies are choosing Teradata. - Stephen Blackwelder, Cornerstone Health; Bob Graham, BevMo! and Paul Barsch, Teradata
- 1639 - Ship Your Pants Faster with Teradata Private Cloud – Monday, Oct 21, 3 - 4 PM
Most retailers experience uneven demand to their technology platforms that is driven by such events as the holiday shopping season or the launch of a successful marketing. - Hernan Asorey, Sears Holdings and Gloria Irwin, Teradata
About TeradataTeradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing and analytic applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit teradata.com for details.Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Share this post: